Monday, July 19, 2010

Blade One Done

I finished slotting and doming the fork blade and successfully brazed the dropout in to the blade over the weekend.  Without actually logging the time, I think I spent about 10 hours over a week and a half sawing, filing, sanding, and filing some more.  I hope that I learned enough to cut that time down significantly for the next blade.

Is this worth it?  I think it's a good experience, but in the future I'll be going with the socket-style dropouts.  For the sake of continuity, I'll probably use slotted rear dropouts, but future frames will be socketed.

It was very encouraging to find out that I can braze with bronze using the hand-held torch.  I'm sure that I'm eating up fuel like nobody's business, but in a pinch it's very capable.

Step-by-step walkthrough with photos will be forthcoming once I start the second blade later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment