Thursday, May 13, 2010

On Design

Always start a project with a set of requirements. They don't need to be specific, but they will help you constrain the project sufficiently enought that it won't overwhelm you. Especially for a purpose-built item like a bicycle or anything that may require tight tolerances... like a bicycle. Art projects can be a little more free-form, but in the past I've at least had a list of requirements in my head for those.

The questions I asked myself before starting this project included: What do I want to do with this bicycle? How far will I be riding it? Will I be carrying anything?

The first question - What do I want to do with it? - is the most important to ask yourself before starting anything else. Again, the answer doesn't need to be very specific. My answer was, "I want to tool around the city and go to the grocery store." Other answers could include rock-hopping, century rides, multi-day rides, "I want to carry my dog with me wherever I go!". Think about where you live, and where you will use it.

Based on this answer, I determined a few basic "shalls" for the bicycle:

-The user (me) shall be capable of riding the bicycle for up to five miles at a time without significant fatigue.
-The bicycle shall be capable of carrying a full load of groceries for two miles.
-The bicycle shall incorporate safety and comfort equipment suitable for city riding (essentially, lights and fenders).
-The bicycle shall be light enough to be carried from its storage location in the basement to the street.

That's basically it - I want to carry it up a short flight of stairs, ride around town comfortably, and carry a load of groceries. This helps determine a basic shape and a basic set of components.


What will it look like, then? A very basic triangle frame with an upright riding position, a rack, some lights, and fenders. A step-through frame may be more suitable for what I want the bike for, but the triangle is easier to build for a first frame (maybe that should be another requirement).


I have a bicycle that I can borrow the design from - a 1966 Raleigh Superbe. It's a great city bike, but it's a little large for me and doesn't have a rack. I'll try to make a slightly smaller version of it and include the necessary frame components to mount all the gear I need.


The next step is to perform a detailed design based on my body dimensions and the riding qualities I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment