Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tools

My order of tools arrived in the mail the other day, and I think I have just about everything I need to make this bike.  Here's everything I've purchased so far:

Tools!

 As I mentioned before, I'm starting with basically nothing; there was a not-insignificant amount of money put into simply getting a usable work space set up.  What I already owned includes:
  • Assorted screwdrivers in various sizes and condition
  • A set of Park Tool box wrenches (for working on my daily rider)
  • 12" crescent wrench
  • Leatherman multitool
  • Other random bits and bobs - paint scraper, wire strippers, etc.
I purchased most of this equipment from Harbor Freight; their prices are very reasonable (especially when there's a sale, like those ratchet clamps for two bucks each) and most of the tools seem of decent quality.  What I ordered from them (left-to-right in the photo):
  • Framing square (for laying out jigs and measuring parts)
  • 6" digital calipers (measuring parts)
  • Protractor/angle finder (verification of the frame layout)
  • Claw hammer (...I have never owned a real hammer.  I needed one.  Probably won't use it for this project)
  • Automatic center punch (marking hole locations on parts)
  • 12" hacksaw (cutting tubing)
  • Needle file set (tube mitering and joint cleanup in tight areas)
  • 2 6" C-clamps (clamping to jigs)
  • 4 ratchet clamps/spreader bars (can't have too many clamps, and they were on sale)
  • 12" file set (tube mitering and rough joint finishing)
  • Wire brushes (cleaning tubes and removing flux)
Total cost: about $100.

The work bench and MAPP gas torch (not shown) came from Sears.  The bench is regularly $70, but I bought mine as an open-box item for $45.  The torch head was $50 - much more than I expected, but it can accept different tips and is designed for brazing/silver soldering.  MAPP gas tank cost was about seven dollars.

Also shown in the photo are a set of emery paper in various grits and a file card, which I picked up at Home Depot when I went to get lighting.  I spent another hundred dollars or so for the lights, light bulbs, emery paper, file card, bucket (for washing parts and - for now - holding tools), hook bolts to hang the lights, nails (needed more nails to hang picture frames), extra hacksaw blades, and the base for my fork jig.

I still have not managed to find layout fluid, which is used to dye metal and allows you to scratch cutting marks into it.  Harbor Freight's website is pretty thin on consumables and the ever-helpful Home Depot employees had no idea what I was talking about.  I can probably finish the fork without it, but once I need to start filing miters into the frame tubes I'll need some way to mark lines on to the tube ends.

If I never make another bicycle after this, I think the only "wasted" tools I've bought will be the files and the torch.  Everything else should be useful on any other kind of project.

No comments:

Post a Comment